I’m definitely not as on top of the garden this year as I was last year. I finally got around to starting some of our seeds over the weekend. Good thing too, as our plant date is coming up in April! If you are unsure of when your plant date is, check here.
As I’ve mentioned before, this year our garden is going to be much smaller than last year. We have a vacation to Florida planned in May, the baby is due in July, and in the midst of it all we are preparing for major construction to begin on our home. There really isn’t a lot of spare time for a garden–but I wouldn’t be happy without one.
This is what we’ve planted in pots:
- Instead of 40 tomato plants (4 separate varieties), we are looking at more along the lines of 15 tomato plants, 2 different varieties.
- We will do about the same number of pepper plants, roughly 15 green pepper and 10 red pepper–which is new to us this year. All of my red pepper seedlings were annihilated last year by a random varmit. In addition to these peppers, I will also grow jalapeno peppers and Chinese 5 color.
- 8 Cabbage and 8 Broccoli Plants.
Planted in the ground:
- Lettuce; planted one round, have 3 more to go.
- Radishes; new to us.
- Peas; new to us. I’m excited about these. We eat a lot of peas!
- 3 kinds of carrots; One of these I got for free. These aren’t in the ground yet–but they need to be!
Waiting for no frost:
- Country Sweet Corn
- Indian Corn
- Popcorn; I can’t wait for this!
- Green Beans
- Missouri Watermelon
- Ground Cherry
- Various Flowers
Are you new to gardening with seeds? These posts may be of help: