Fresh Apple Cake
I’ve been able to score loads of apples on clearance the last few trips to the grocery store. When I find them for 20¢ a pound, it’s hard to pass them by! While my family will gobble up any fresh fruit I bring home, there is only so much they can eat before it goes to waste. Which isn’t an option!
My mother-in-law made us this cake while we were deep in the throws of Project Major Home Addition, and it instantly came to mind. It’s moist and incredibly flavorful-so you only need a small bit to put your sweet tooth at ease.
- 1 ½ cup Oil
- 2 Tbsp. Vanilla
- 2 Eggs
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- 2 tsp. Cinnamon
- 3 cups Flour
- 4 cups apples; chopped
- 1 cup pecans (you could also use walnuts)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 stick butter
- ¼ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
- Add the oil, vanilla and eggs to your mixing bowl, then add dry ingredients. Mix until combined. Add in the nuts and chopped apples. Mixture will be stiff.
- Pour into a greased pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or for 60 minutes if using a bundt pan.
To Make Topping::
- Boil topping ingredients for 2½ minutes.
- Let cool slightly, and pour over cake.