If you are looking for an easy dessert that is packed with flavor, look no further! These Cherry Bars are rich, so it only takes a small bar to satisfy your sweet tooth. They are great to take to potlucks, too, since it makes a big batch. I promise your dish will be brought home empty!
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained but reserve the juice
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, white sugar and 3/4 cup butter until crumbly. Press into a lightly greased 9x13 pan. The mixture is really dry, and you will question it's ability to make anything edible. I promise it will ;)
- Bake in a 350° oven for 12 minutes. You don't want it to get brown or it will be too dry when you are finished.
- While the crust is baking, get out your food processor and combine eggs, brown sugar, vanilla and baking powder. Process until smooth.
- Add in the cherries and pulse them until chopped.
- When your crust is done pre-baking, pour mixture over crust and bake 25 minutes, or until set.
- Mix up frosting while bars are baking by creaming together powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons butter and 6 tablespoons reserved cherry juice until light and fluffy.
- I spread the frosting on the bars about 5 minutes after I removed them from the oven so it would melt just a bit.
- Cut, serve and enjoy!