In December my daughter and I attended a Ladies’ Tea hosted by our church. We were served all sorts of different appetizers, all of which were delightful. However, one stood out. I had no idea what it was when I placed it on my plate, but I knew instantly when I tasted it.
It was a BLT right in my mouth, only in a dip form. I knew I had to figure out how to make it.
- 1 pound bacon; diced and cooked crisp
- 1 ½ cups mayonaise
- 1 ½ cups sour cream
- 2-4 Roma tomatoes; diced
- Combine the mayonaise, sour cream and bacon.
- If desired you can also add in a dash or two of black pepper.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours, or overnight. Trust me on this one. Generally I'm not patient enough to let things sit, but this really needs to to allow the flavors to mesh. Otherwise it tastes too mayonaise-y.
- Right before serving stir in the tomatoes.
- Serve with crackers or toasted bread. I used a whole loaf of bread and cut the pieces in triangles. Then I toasted them in a 300° oven until toasted.
For added pizzaz and flavor, hollow out a head of iceberg lettuce and use it as a serving bowl.
I served this at our family gathering for Christmas, and it was devoured! Even my tomato hating husband couldn’t get enough of it.